How is the past visionary? Much like the nutrient rich detritus from which the verge is born a-new. To begin is never to start without. Each new cycle carries with it the wisdom & strength of past phases & progressions. What gifts are you bringing into this initiation? Like something of the past that continues to re-work its way to the surface; or the past we sacrifice to the future. Language as turf and terrain caught up in mineral sediment.
* We encourage each artist to include a translation of their work. The translation can be done in a recognized language, or one you create (such as through ekphrasis). Artists can translate their own work, or work with a translator/collaborator.
It is our hope that each translated work opens up space for further understanding and empathy of other cultures, languages, and movements, while creating community between collaborators in the process.
If you are unable to translate your own work or find a collaborator, we will work with you. Please let us know if you would like a translator in the submission email.
* We welcome these styles and genres:
poetry / fiction / creative nonfiction / critical theory / articles / rituals / spells / essays / reviews / visual art / music / photography / translations / collaborations / performances / novellas / hybrid work
* Send up to 5 poems or images and up to 10 pages of prose.
At Avon we publish some of the leading names in commercial fiction, including Sunday Times bestsellers C.L. Taylor, Scott Mariani and Sue Moorcroft, and digital chart toppers Phillipa Ashley, Lorna Cook, Mel Sherratt and Mandy Robotham. If you have a commercial novel you think might be of interest to us, we’d love to see it.
Please note that we can only consider full-length manuscripts and are unable to consider partial submissions. We can only consider submissions of 60,000 words or more.
Ayebia is interested in writing from established as well as budding new authors. Once we have expressed an interest in a manuscript, we will offer help and support for authors to develop their work into publishable form.
How to Submit a Manuscript
- It is essential that you contact us by email (email@example.com) before submitting any material for assessment.
- In the first instance, please send a synopsis, a short bio, a concise covering letter that includes your writing history, outlining the merits of the work that you wish to submit and why you think your work deserves to be published by Ayebia.
- Please do not send us the original copy of your manuscript.
- Please ensure that you always keep a copy of your work for reference purposes, as we do not return any submissions or manuscripts sent us.
- We prefer submissions to reach us electronically or by email as an attachment i.e., .docx or .doc.
- All submissions must be professionally edited and proof read before submission in a Word format.
The 2021 Brick Lane Bookshop Short Story Prize is now open for submissions. The deadline for entries is 5pm, 22nd May 2021.
The aim of the prize is to celebrate short stories and to give writers encouragement, the chance of publication and some financial space to write.
The judges are looking for new, exciting and diverse voices.
£1000 First Prize
£250 Second Prize
£100 Third Prize
The winners and longlisted stories will be published in the Brick Lane Bookshop Short Story Prize anthology in October 2021.
The prize is open to all UK residents for original short stories between 1000 and 5000 words.
Longlisted stories will be read and judged by the panel: Elise Dillsworth, Kishani Widyaratna and Wendy Erskine.
Entry costs £10 per story. The proceeds of the competition cover prize administration, the cost of publishing the longlist anthology and paying readers and judges. Everyone involved with the running of the prize is paid.
This year, there are 25 free entries for low income writers on a first come, first served basis. If you’d like to enter the prize and consider yourself to be on a low-income, please email Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘Low-income entry’ as your subject header. Please note: these places have all now been allocated, if you’d like to be notified if this changes, email as above.